There are 2 methods of connecting to SiteFX via the internet, method 1 uses the Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection utility, and method 2 uses a similar client but is done through a website.
Method 1 is preferred as it offers additional functionality (such as the ability to print to a local printer and access to local drives). Both options are available at no cost.
Note: Updates to the Remote Desktop client may be available via Windows Update. If this is your first time connecting (or you have not checked recently), click on Windows Update on your computer or visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com. The Remote Desktop utility updates may be shown under the ‘Software, Optional’ list at the far left.
Note: Additional information is provided at the end of this section.
1. Start the Remote Desktop Connection utility.
The Remote Desktop Connection utility is by default located at Start > All Programs > Accessories OR Start > All Programs > Accessories > Communications. If you cannot locate the Remote Desktop Connection icon, you may need to talk to your IT department to have it activated.
2. Make sure the computer is set to www.earthfx.com:3389 and press the Connect button, a dialog similar to the following will appear:
3. Enter the User Name and Password supplied by EarthFX. Use of the Remember my password checkbox is at your own discretion. Press OK when ready.
4. If your user name and password are correct, you will be logged right in and see the desktop and a SiteFX icon. If there are any issues, you will see a new dialog similar to the following.
5. Try your User Name and Password again. Make sure that ‘Log on to’ is set to EARTHFX2.
6. Once logged in, you will see the desktop of the connected computer. The SiteFX icon on the desktop will start SiteFX for you. Double click on the icon and you will get a second logon (this is now for SiteFX). The dialog will look similar to the following.
7. Enter the Username and Password supplied by EarthFX. Typically, the Username is the same as the one used in the earlier logon, however the password can be left blank. Press OK when ready.
· If at step 1 you press the Options button, you will get a number of options that can be selected before connecting. Some of the options that you will want to use are:
o General tab – the use of the Always ask for credentials option is up to you
o Display tab – drag the slider to the far right until you are at Full Screen
o Local Resource tab
§ Printers - if you need to print to a local printer, ensure that the Printers check box is checked. Note – in order to print, the remote computer must have the appropriate drivers available. If you are not able to print, contact EarthFX with the make and model of your printer.
§ Local Drives – if you need access to local drives (e.g. for importing data), make sure that the Drives checkbox is checked. Depending on the version of your Remote Desktop Utility, this option may be different places.
o Experience tab – unchecking all checkboxes except for Bitmap caching will provide the best experience. Experiment with these options if you like.
§ If you are in full screen mode, the remote Windows will fill your entire desktop. The remote desktop contains an additional yellow bar across the top of your monitor, similar to the following. Use the minimize button near the far right to return to your regular desktop.
§ If you press the ‘X’ (close) on the yellow bar, you will have started to Disconnect from the remote computer (as opposed to logging office). The following message will appear. In general, it is recommended that you do not exit remote desktop this way. Instead, you should choose Start > Log Off from the lower right corner of the remote desktop. Ensure that you exist SiteFX first.
§ If you need to leave SiteFX running, make sure you use Disconnect instead of Log Off. To Disconnect, use the X in the yellow bar at the top of the monitor, or go to Start > Shut Down > choose Disconnect and press OK
Note – Additional information is provided at the end of this section
1. Open Internet Explorer. Note – Firefox will not work. Depending on your version of Internet Explorer and other factors, the steps vary. You may need to install an Active X Control at some point.
2. Enter the URL http://www.earthfx.com/tsweb . You may get the following dialog. If so, having ‘Allow access to your local clipboard’ is fine. Click Yes. (This option will let you copy and paste items between your local computer and the remote computer / SiteFX)
3. You may get a web page that says Remote Desktop Web Connection which asks for a Server and Size specification. Ignore these options and click the Connect button. You should be taken to a new page that has a dialog similar to the following.
Enter the User name and Password supplied by EarthFX. Ensure that Log on to is set to EarthFX2
4. Once logged in, you will see the desktop of the connected computer. The SiteFX icon on the desktop will start SiteFX for you. Double click on the icon and you will get a second logon (this is now for SiteFX). The dialog will look similar to the following.
5. Enter the Username and Password supplied by EarthFX. Typically, the Username is the same as the one used in the earlier logon, however the password can be left blank. Press OK when ready.
§ If you get into a loop in which Internet Explorer requires you to install an Active X control, but it does not let you install it, contact EarthFX (or read about this issue using Google).
§ Read the Additional Information section of method 1. Some, but not all, of the additional information for Method 1 applies here too.